Whether you have had your pet for a short time or for quite a few years, leaving it behind while you travel or vacation isn’t easy. The separation can be stressful, both for you and for your pet. Preparing properly for your pet’s stay at a kennel can help take any unnecessary anxiety out of the equation. At East Valley Animal Hospital, serving Gilbert, Mesa, and Chandler, we’re seasoned veterans in caring for pets while their families are away. Here are some tips on how to help create a safe and comfortable experience for your pet during the boarding process:
Tips to Ease Boarding Stress
- Have a chat with us! East Valley Animal Hospital would love to help with your pets’ boarding needs and answer any questions you may have. And while your pets stay with us, we can ensure their health checkups and vaccinations are up to date.
- Make your boarding reservations well in advance, and thoroughly fill out all paperwork. Include emergency contact information. Feel free to discuss with us any questions you may have about our policies on veterinary emergencies.
- Provide your pet with the proper ID and/or collar before bringing it to the kennel for boarding.
- Pack your pet’s favorite toys or blankets so they have some familiar comforts. If you’re not able to board with East Valley, check with your kennel to be sure they allow these items.
- Do not make any dietary changes for your pet during the transition, to avoid any digestive issues before or during their stay.
- Give your pet extra love when you drop them off, but stay calm so they feel secure. If you’re secure, they will be secure.
Here are a few more great tips from the American Kennel Club about visiting and choosing the right boarding location for your pet. At East Valley Animal Hospital, we know your pet is part of your family. While you’re away, we’ll be sure to treat them like they’re part of our family.
Images used under creative commons license – commercial use (2/28/2018) Michael Seeley (Flickr)