A trip to a spay and neuter clinic is an important part of adding a new animal to your family. While dog owners often hear how important it is for their dogs to be spayed or neutered, they aren’t always sure of the many reasons why.
We want to make sure you know why you are doing any procedure on your pet so we’ve highlighted a few of the key reasons you should visit a spay and neuter clinic for your female dog.
- Spaying your dog prevents uterine infections, which many female pets experience at some point in their life. When an infection occurs, the uterus swells and becomes filled with toxic discharge. In these cases, an emergency spay is needed. Taking the time and care to spay now, can prevent an emergency later.
- If you’ve ever had a female pet or heard about heat periods, you know how challenging they can be. Heat periods cause your dog to have a bloody discharge, which may lead to excessive licking. She may also need to be confined as male dogs will locate her through a scent that travels a great distance around the neighborhood. Your dog is also more likely to want to run away during this time. Spaying prevents heat periods and all the work that comes with them.
- One of the biggest reasons to spay your female pet is to help reduce over pet population, not to mention the risks that can be associated with her becoming pregnant.
- Many pet owners haven’t heard of breast cancer in pets but it’s a real issue and spaying can help prevent it.
- Spaying can have financial benefits, too. In most states, having your pet spayed can lower her licensing fees.
Of course there are many other things to consider before you visit a spay and neuter clinic for your pet. Our team is happy to help answer your questions and give you the guidance you need to make the best decision. If you have any questions or need to schedule a spay or neuter contact us today.